From Peter Hancock <peter.hanc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Log4j Woes
Date Tue, 25 May 2010 09:34:07 GMT
Hi Nancy,

I am not sure how the LOG4J_OPTS environmental variable is supposed to be
handled by the log4j library (I would like to know!) so I would recommend
changing the fop script.

First put the log4j jar in fop's lib directory.  You can download it from
http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/manual.html
Put your log4j.xml file in the root of the fop project.
Edit fop:
Uncomment the following line
*
LOGCHOICE=-Dorg.apache.commons.logging.Log=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger
*

edit the fop_exec_command variable (bottom of fop file) to include
 -Dlog4j.configuration=log4j.xml

This approach will keep the log4j config local to fop which is preferred.
Other java applications using log4j would want different config.  Also you
should not have to modify /usr/share/java since it is managed by Debian.

I hope this works for you

Pete