From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: How to Get Borders to Work
Date Wed, 07 Jul 2010 12:10:33 GMT
Tom,

I've just checked with 0.95 and trunk:

      <fo:block border-before-style="double" space-before="1em">bla</fo:block>
      <fo:block border="double" space-before="1em">Bla</fo:block>

Just setting the border style is enough to get a border, be that on one
side or all around with the shorthand.

I'm just not really getting why you want to customize these defaults.
Styling this in XSLT is as simple as defining an xsl:attribute-set with
the values you expect and use that where applicable. IMO, that's easier
than writing a proprietary extension that tries to interfere with the
property subsystem.

On 07.07.2010 13:54:41 Tom Browder wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 04:25, Jeremias Maerki <dev@jeremias-maerki.ch> wrote:
> > Hi Tom
> >
> > Why? What should that extension do?
> >
> > IMO, Craig and Eric are right. It's basically your job in XSLT to make
> > sure that the right properties are set, that defaults from the XSL-FO
> > spec and from the user agent (i.e. FOP) are overridden.
> >
> > The default in XSL-FO is to have no border and you explicitely have to
> > enable borders by setting the border style to something other than "none".
> > We're implementing a standard here. Not much freedom is available there.
>
> Well, apparently you have to set all three attributes to get anything.
>  All I'm suggesting is that setting  one implies the user wants a
> border and that there be a default value then for the other two
> attributes.  I don't think that's an unreasonable extension.
>
> -Tom

Jeremias Maerki