From "Eric Douglas" <edoug...@blockhouse.com>
Subject RE: FOP trunk error message when run from ant
Date Tue, 06 Jul 2010 12:35:11 GMT
Chris,

It seems to me the entire project is subject to change.  In fact going
from version 0.20 to 0.95 practically everything changed.
Going from 0.95 to the Trunk, the EmbedFontInfo class changed.  Though
it seems you're suggesting no one should ever reference that class, the
jar requirements changed along with it.  A newer version of
xmlgraphics-commons is required.  Of course I don't reference every
public method so I don't know how much else changed.  If you're
suggesting you should be able to use FOP without ever changing anything
and be able to use newer versions of the project, you probably should
never embed code.  I assume by public API you mean features available
when calling the program from a DOS prompt.  That is a hack if you're
calling a program from the DOS prompt in embedded code.  To me the
public API is any public method in a public class.

For my purpose the xconf file sounds like a bad idea if A) it requires a
hard coded reference to a font which may be subject to change, or B) it
requires a path reference to the file which may change or may vary
depending which machine client or server is referencing it.  It's just
easier to dynamically read in the name(s) of the fonts to use and embed
them with the EmbedFontInfo object.  Also, I would avoid putting
configuration in external files any more than necessary.  Plus as I
mentioned, the EmbedFontInfo object can dynamically read in font values
like the width of the characters, which you can't get using the xconf
file.  Any configuration we do need stored in a file, I prefer to put in
our data file system, not text files.