From Esse <e...@widenarrow.se>
Subject Re: Relative paths when running FOP as servlet (Tomcat)
Date Wed, 25 Aug 2010 14:52:30 GMT

Hi Martin!

Thanks a lot for your help! However, i'm really a rookie and i need some
clarification to understand :)

How should i modify my web.xml(below)? Should i just add the
<context-param>- and <listener>-part to the web.xml?

I do not fully understand what to do with the listener and how to do it...
where do i put the listener?

Im not really used to Java, so all of this is sort of new to me.

web-app>
        <!-- Servlets -->
  <servlet>
    <servlet-name>Fop</servlet-name>
    <servlet-class>org.apache.fop.servlet.FopServlet</servlet-class>
  </servlet>
  <servlet>
    <servlet-name>FopPrint</servlet-name>
    <servlet-class>org.apache.fop.servlet.FopPrintServlet</servlet-class>
  </servlet>
  <!-- Servlet mappings -->
  <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>Fop</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>/</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>
  <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>FopPrint</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>/fopprint</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>
</web-app>

Martin Jacobson wrote:
This is what I would do...

0) move the config file to be part of the war file, inside WEB-INF

1) web.xml

<!DOCTYPE web-app
    "http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2.3.dtd">

<web-app>
    <display-name>cartoWeb - vector map server</display-name>

        <context-param>
                <param-name>configuration-file</param-name>
                <param-value>WEB-INF/fop.xconf</param-value>
        </context-param>

        <listener>

<listener-class>com.emc.carto.web.servlet.WebAppInitializer</listener-class>
        </listener>

2) Listener

public class WebAppInitializer implements ServletContextListener
{
        ServletContext ctx = null;

        public void contextInitialized(ServletContextEvent sce)
        {
                ctx = sce.getServletContext();
                String configFileName =
ctx.getInitParameter("configuration-file");
                String realConfigFile = ctx.getRealPath(configFileName);
               try {
                     fopFactory.setUserConfig(new File(realConfigFile));
              }
etc.

HTH
Martin