From Vincent Hennebert <vhenneb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: font variance across platforms?
Date Wed, 18 Aug 2010 10:43:24 GMT
Hi Trevor,

ZapfDingbats is one of the base 14 PDF fonts and the character you are
using (U+260E) belongs to its default encoding. Therefore it should be
supported by any compliant PDF viewer. I’ve just checked on my own
system and it works.

What do you mean exactly by “not seeing the correct symbol”? If it’s
a telephone symbol that looks different to the one you see in Adobe
Reader, then that’s normal. Viewers are free to use any glyph they want,
as long as it looks like “a black telephone”. If what they get is not
a black telephone, then something is likely to be wrong with their
setup.

If you want the very same glyph to be displayed on every system, then
you have to embed a particular font of your choice that supports the
characters you need. It doesn’t have to be a Dingbats font, it can be
any font that contains the appropriate glyphs (DejaVu Sans, for
example). See here to configure custom fonts:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/1.0/fonts.html

HTH,
Vincent