From "Eric Douglas" <edoug...@blockhouse.com>
Subject RE: XSL Page Variable
Date Thu, 05 Aug 2010 18:54:36 GMT
Hi Chris,

I'm not entirely sure I know what you mean by what the FO markup should
look like.  If you mean the XSLFO file, I never see that.  I'm running
embedded code, where I just create an XML file and an XSL file and pass
them right through the FOP with the transformer.  Assuming there is
XSLFO code, it's in memory, and I'm not sure what the option would be to
create a physical file.
I thought it might be a dev issue because I'm not sure if I coded
something wrong or FOP processed it wrong.

I'm trying to code into my XML what goes on each page and what the page
format should be.  I thought I might need multiple page masters and/or
page sequences but I'm not sure how I would reference them.  The XSL
code looks something like this (leaving out some unrelated pieces).

     <fo:layout-master-set>
          <fo:simple-page-master>
               <xsl:attribute
name="master-name">STANDARD_PAGE</xsl:attribute>
               <xsl:attribute name="reference-orientation">
                    <xsl:choose>
                         <xsl:when
test="PAGE_DATA[position()]/ORIENTATION = 'PORTRAIT'">0</xsl:when>
                         <xsl:when
test="PAGE_DATA[position()]/ORIENTATION = 'LANDSCAPE'">90</xsl:when>
                    </xsl:choose>
               </xsl:attribute>
               <fo:region-body>
               </fo:region-body>
          </fo:simple-page-master>
     </fo:layout-master-set>
     <fo:page-sequence>
     <xsl:attribute
name="master-reference">STANDARD_PAGE</xsl:attribute>
          <fo:flow>
               <xsl:attribute
name="flow-name">xsl-region-body</xsl:attribute>
               <xsl:for-each select="PAGE_DATA">
                    <xsl:variable name="ORIENTATION"><xsl:value-of
select="ORIENTATION"/></xsl:variable>

Now, maybe there's something I'm not understanding about XSL, maybe I
can write the XSL backward?  It's currently driven by the page-sequence
which tells it which page-master to use, which defines the layout.  Then
within that I have the loop where everything under a PAGE_DATA tag goes
on one page.  How would I arrange this so every page has the option to
be either portrait or landscape?