From Chris Bowditch <bowditch_ch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: FOP taking too much memory
Date Mon, 09 Aug 2010 12:46:27 GMT
Ali Shaheen wrote:
> Hello all,

Hi,

> We are using FOP as part of a debt-collection software. Lots of letters need to be created
"in bulk" as well as "on the fly" to be sent immediately. We use FOP to generate PDF and call
FOP from our command line from our RoR application. A lot of times, FOP/Java takes too much
memory (e..g, 2GB) with only 6 letters being created. The letters are usually just 1 page
long.

Perhaps the memory usage is caused by referencing large fonts, e.g.
Arial Unicode or very large images, e.g. 11in 8in @ 1200dpi

> What are we doing wrong? Should we use servlets rather than command line?

It would be better to integrate with FOP using Java API, because you
don't have the overhead of starting a separate JVM for every document
generated. However, I don't expect this to be the cause of excessive
memory use.

> Any help in this regard would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris