From Dominik Stadler <dominik.stad...@dynatrace.com>
Subject RE: FOP taking too much memory
Date Mon, 09 Aug 2010 13:20:37 GMT
Hi,

2GB is a lot, seems you are doing something special that consumes a lot of memory. We are
running 60 pages PDFs with graphics/tables in under 500MB.

There are some recommendations on the homepage about how to reduce memory usage, but I would
recommend using a memory analysis tool first to see where this huge amount of memory is actually
used/kept.

Thanks... Dominik.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ali Shaheen [mailto:ali.naqi@coeus-solutions.de]
Sent: Donnerstag, 05. August 2010 11:21
To: fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
Subject: FOP taking too much memory

Hello all,

We are using FOP as part of a debt-collection software. Lots of letters need to be created
"in bulk" as well as "on the fly" to be sent immediately. We use FOP to generate PDF and call
FOP from our command line from our RoR application. A lot of times, FOP/Java takes too much
memory (e..g, 2GB) with only 6 letters being created. The letters are usually just 1 page
long.

What are we doing wrong? Should we use servlets rather than command line?

Any help in this regard would be much appreciated.

Regards
Ali