From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: Problem wth output AFP size using FOP
Date Thu, 07 Oct 2010 08:47:28 GMT
On 06.10.2010 08:42:10 Venkatasainath Darapu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to create a AFP file by embedding a tiff image in FO and then
> converting it into AFP using apache FOP. The tiff image size is just 10 kb
> but the output AFP file is 4 MB. I tried with different types of tiff
> images, some of the output image file sizes is around 500 kb whereas
> remaining give output file size as 4-5 MB.

FOP's AFP support currently doesn't support any compression scheme, so
all image data is written to the output file uncompressed. I've written
a CCITT G4 compressor some time ago but I'm still looking for a "sponsor"
to cover my at least part of the implementation effort and the
integration into FOP (the latter is not done, yet). Anyway, this would
only cover bi-level images. As for gray and color images, AFP offers a
number of compression formats, but most of them are tainted by patents
which makes them problematic for inclusion into an open source
application. LZW is one of them and even through it is considered
expired, a patent professional once told me that he wouldn't want to be
made responsible for saying that the patent is now irrelevant, mainly
because there are follow-up patents related to it.

> I found in one forum that in the configuration we need to set the option
> 'native=true'. I have tried with this as well. The tiff images used in above
> scenario's did not different in dimentions and i used the CCITT 6
> compression for these images.

I don't understand what you're saying here. The main problem with native
embedding of TIFF files is that many AFP platforms still don't support
this feature.

> can someone please explain me as to why this could be happening and suggest
> some solution for this?

If native embedding of TIFFs doesn't work for you, I have no immediate solution
right now except for zipping or bzip2-ing the whole file for transport.

> Thanks in advance

Jeremias Maerki