From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: PCL duplex
Date Mon, 11 Oct 2010 16:50:25 GMT
On 08.10.2010 14:33:52 David Hurcomb wrote:
> On 08/10/2010 12:55, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> > FOP uses the&lnS command to enable duplex mode. But that may not be the
> > right command for all printers.
> >
> > If you post the exact model name of the two printers, I'll download the
> > tech manuals and take a look. Maybe they need some special command to
> > actually do duplex.
> >
> I have tried my main printer is a Kyocera (FS-9130DN) they push you
> towards printing using their own PRESCRIBE language , but it does use
> PCL emulator (set up by the PRESCRIBE command !R!SIR2;EXIT;)

There seems to be some level of auto-sensing, so the exit command should
probably not be necessary. Anyway, I didn't find any PCL-specific
information in the manuals concerning duplex printing.

> > You could also generate two simple duplex documents with the printers'
> > drivers and send them to me. That might allow me to reverse engineer the
> > required commands.
> >
> I have created the attached from notepad.exe - is there a better way (on
> MS)?  I had expected to see the PRESCRIBE code DUPX1 or DUPX2 for long
> edge and short edge respectively.

Notepad should be fine as long as you get two pages. But apparently,
that printer driver produced PCL-XL/PCL6 rather than PCL 5 which FOP
produces.

What I did find out is that there is a PJL command that allows to
control duplexing. But FOP currently has no facility to add custom PJL
commands. You could try to insert them by hand for a test.

@PJL SET DUPLEX=ON
@PJL SET BINDING=LONGEDGE

No guarantees that it'll work.

Another possibility you could investigate is to print against the
printer's native driver using FOP's print renderer. The Java Printing
API offers to control a wide range of parameters. But again, I cannot
guarantee a good outcome. There should be numerous tutorials on the Java
Printing API on the net.

Good luck!

Jeremias Maerki