From Stuart Scott <Stuart.Sc...@countrywide.co.uk>
Subject RE: Calling FOP from a non Java based webpage
Date Wed, 27 Oct 2010 14:52:37 GMT

That's basically what I was looking for.

Many thanks for your response, I will give this a try and see how I get
on.

Kind regards

Stuart Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: Ognjen Blagojevic [mailto:ognjen.d.blagojevic@gmail.com]
Sent: 26 October 2010 09:28
To: fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
Subject: Re: Calling FOP from a non Java based webpage

> What would be the smartest way to achieve this? Using Cocoon? Calling
> Java Servlet using AJAX? I don't want to use .NET if possible.

I would suggest doing it inside simple Java web application with one
servlet for generating PDF response using FOP, running on Apache Tomcat
(or similar lightweight servlet container).

That way you will avoid creating instance of new Java Virtual Machine
every time you need to create PDF, but use one instance (with
configurable number of threads) for all of them.

You really don't need AJAX for that, since your servlet would generate a

full PDF document for every response. We use AJAX for generating data
that are not considered full documents but rather HTML document parts or

data for populating form controls.

Depending of the usage, your Java web application may read external data

(if any) directly from data source (e.g. database) or from HTTP get/post

method parameters coming from the user.

If authentication is not a concern, you may expose links to your Java
web application directly from your ASP application. If it is, than your
ASP application will do the authentication and act as proxy to Java
webapp.

-Ognjen