From "Andreas L. Delmelle" <andreas.delme...@telenet.be>
Subject Re: AW: AW: AW: AW: AW: OutOfMemoryException while transforming large XML to PDF
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2011 20:01:10 GMT
On 01 Apr 2011, at 21:38, Eric Douglas wrote:

> I only reference the words page-sequence once.  Is this the single page
> sequence problem you're talking about, or is my page loop referencing
> multiple page sequences?

Your sample does have the potential to create large page-sequences, yes.
It all depends on how many PAGE_DATA nodes you have.
However, since those are basically already separate pages, if I understand correctly, you
might fare better by generating a page-sequence around every 10 pages or so (i.e. plain grouping
of the PAGE_DATA nodes by position).
Nothing would change in the output, and you should be safe, whatever the actual amount of
pages is. Your page-numbers and page-number-citations will just keep working as they do now.

> My input is already formatted so I know what goes on each page.  I just
> need the pages connected for the page variable references with
> fo:page-number keeping track of the page count, and an
> fo:page-number-citation needing to know the number of the last page
> which I do with the empty block.

Note: In FOP Trunk, using the empty block trick is no longer necessary for this case, as you
can simply add an "id" to the fo:root and then use fo:page-number-citation-last wherever you
need it.
Come to think of it, the FAQ will need to be updated to reflect this...

> If the conserve option can help with memory use for very large reports
> I'll look for it, but I don't call it from the command line.  My code is
> all embedded.

In embedded code, you can activate it via:

foUserAgent.setConserveMemoryPolicy(true);

Regards

Andreas
---