From "Eric Douglas" <edoug...@blockhouse.com>
Subject RE: Fop 0.95: Generation of multiple PDFs on a single template
Date Wed, 13 Apr 2011 17:39:29 GMT
If you're running FOP from a command line that would require either you
split that XML into multiple files or they add an enhancement to the FOP
call.
If you're running FOP from embedded code you could split that XML
yourself into multiple objects and transform into multiple PDFs without
creating any additional files for the XML, though without some sort of
FOP enhancement it would still require multiple calls to the FO
transform to get the PDFs.

________________________________

From: JOSE L MARTINEZ-AVIAL [mailto:jlmagc@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 1:05 PM
To: fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
Subject: Re: Fop 0.95: Generation of multiple PDFs on a single template

I agree with you about that option. Right now we use a service provided
by a third party that receives a XML file with info for 500 clients, and
it creates 500 pdfs. It is propietary, using Adobe InDesign for the
creation of the template, and we would like to switch to FOP for that
process, but we find that we need to change the process to generate one
XML for each customer. So I think it would be a nice addittion too.

Regards

Jose Luis

2011/4/13 Andreas L. Delmelle <andreas.delmelle@telenet.be>

	On 13 Apr 2011, at 18:51, Andreas L. Delmelle wrote:

	> On 13 Apr 2011, at 13:37, JOSE L MARTINEZ-AVIAL wrote:

	>> ... That's a long process, since we need to create the XML
and invoke FOP for each customer.
	> <snip />

	> As far as I know, you would definitely have to resort to a
two-step approach.

	> I see two possible routes:

	Forgot to add the bottom line: there is currently no way to
avoid invoking FOP multiple times if you need multiple outputs, unless
by post-processing the PDF with another tool.
	Come to think of it, that could be a nice addition: a config
option that triggers creation of separate PDFs for, say each
fo:page-sequence...

	Regards

	Andreas
	---