From "Terence M. Bandoian" <tere...@tmbsw.com>
Subject Re: PDF/A-1a compliancy and PDF version 1.4
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2011 19:33:46 GMT
  On 5/23/2011 9:06 AM, Peder wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I have a question about the PDF/A-1a compliancy of the PDF that FOP produces.
> We produce PDF/A-1a compliant PDF for a customer of us. But I think there is a problem
with the tagging of tables.
> When PDF/A-1a is selected the PDF version needs to be 1.4 according to the documentation.
> But the renderer tries to output THead TBody and TFoot tags in the PDF for the appropriate
table elements.
> Only the PDF 1.4 does not support THead, TBody and TFoot tags and  when the PDF/A-1a
compliancy is being tested, the three tags are being reported as failures.
> Is this a bug?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Peder

Hi-

First, I am relatively new to the list and would like to thank all
involved for their work.  Apache FOP is a valuable and useful tool and I
appreciate everyone's efforts.

Using version 1.0, I was able to work around the problems I encountered
generating PDF/A-1a compliant documents but wanted to report them here
in case they might be of some help.  To get around the problem with
tables, as described in the original post, I modified my XSL to use
list-blocks instead.  The other significant problem was with metadata.
Apparently, PDF/A-1a requires the more complex forms of the metadata
elements which I was unable to generate with the FOUserAgent methods.
As a workaround, I inserted the following into the XSL input stream:

<fo:declarations>
<x:xmpmeta xmlns:x="adobe:ns:meta/">
<rdf:RDF
         xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">

<rdf:Description rdf:about="">

<dc:title>
<rdf:Alt>
<rdf:li xml:lang="x-default">

     /* my title here */

</rdf:li>
</rdf:Alt>
</dc:title>

<dc:creator>
<rdf:Seq>
<rdf:li>

     /* my author here */

</rdf:li>
</rdf:Seq>
</dc:creator>

<dc:description>
<rdf:Alt>
<rdf:li xml:lang="x-default">

     /* my description here */

</rdf:li>
</rdf:Alt>
</dc:description>

<dc:date>
<rdf:Seq>
<rdf:li></rdf:li>
</rdf:Seq>
</dc:date>

</rdf:Description>

</rdf:RDF>
</x:xmpmeta>
</fo:declarations>

I WAS able to use FOUserAgent.setCreationDate() successfully but the
<dc:date> element above was required to make the document compliant.
Setting the other values with FOUserAgent methods resulted non-compliant
documents with or without the XML above.

Thanks again for the excellent work.

-Terence Bandoian