From Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>
Subject Preliminary Devanagari Support
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2011 17:41:03 GMT
As part of my work on complex scripts, I have recently added support for the
Devanagari script, as used by Hindi, Marathi, etc., to FOP. To obtain this
support, you will need to obtain and build the FOP code on the i18n.arabic
branch at http://github.com/skynavga/fop.

This work has not yet been thoroughly tested with Devanagari, however, it
works well enough to correctly format some articles I have excerpted from
the Hindi Wikipedia. See the attached files.

Note that I have only tested this support with the following Windows 7
fonts:

   - Aparajita
   - Kokila
   - Mangal
   - Utsaah

For more details on supported fonts, see
http://skynav.trac.cvsdude.com/fop/wiki/SupportedFonts.

The use of ZWJ and ZWNJ is not yet supported. I expect to enable these in
the near future, and then add Tamil as the next supported Indic script.

Any feedback on basic Hindi text formatting problems would be appreciated.

Regards,
Glenn