From "Andreas L. Delmelle" <andreas.delme...@telenet.be>
Subject Re: fop not handling svn rotated text on linux
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2011 17:45:13 GMT
On 07 Jul 2011, at 19:07, Rob Sargent wrote:

Hi Rob

> My mistake. A rash assumption that the example was simply glossing over the renderer
specific stuff.  (Seemed reasonable to me that one might want different fonts in different
renderers)

> I now have the following (partial) config. file and am still not getting a clean "Joint".
<snip />

OK, that looks good.

> and I have confirmed that the font files are in my distribution.
>
> The only message I get from the FOP run is:
> [Fop100Stage] [Print Preview Thread] [2011-07-07 10:58:27,161] DEBUG - Looking for hyph
jar: <longpath>/fop/fop100/fop/lib/fop-hyph.jar!/hyph/

> [FOP] [Print Preview Thread] [2011-07-07 10:58:27,161] DEBUG - target-resolution set
to: 72.0dpi (px2mm=0.35277778)

> where the first message confirms for me that I'm getting the correct fop version.

Provided that this is the config file that is used, you should then see, a bit further down,
something like

DEBUG - FontInfo - Helvetica,normal,400: Replacing Helvetica (priority=0) by FreeSans (priority=0)

Do you see a reference like that? If yes, do you also see the "FreeSans" font being registered
a bit higher up? If not, that could mean either of:
- a different config is actually used at runtime
- the FreeSans font failed to load properly
- the FreeSans font is still not the one that Java AWT falls back on for Helvetica, so the
metrics still don't match

As for the latter, the key is that via the config you _can_ make FOP follow suit, but you
really need to make sure that it _is_ the FreeSans font that is used by Batik.
Does that font have a narrower 'J' glyph than standard Helvetica? It doesn't seem so, from
what I can tell...

Regards

Andreas
---