From Fernando Israel <fernando.isr...@kognoz.com>
Subject Re: Content spanning multiple pages issue
Date Sat, 30 Jul 2011 19:13:51 GMT
Hi Andreas,

Thank you for your prompt response. If you hadn't tell me the why I would
have not got to that in a million years. I am glad I have asked and that you
shed the necessary light.

On the basis of your input it is quite clear that I cannot achieve the
objective with the current XSL-FO I am using, so I need to re-design it.

Let me give you the background as to why I am using absolute positioning for
all blocks.

This project is part of an application that has a web client where users
design the document. The web client is a kind of WYSIWYG type of app that
shows the presents the user with a blank canvas, which is the size of the
page they selected -e.g. A4, Legal, etc., along with the margins selected,
and there is a series of tools that allow the user to drop text, images and
tables. In the canvas the user can re-size the blocks and images. We then
take all this sizing, position, and content information in XML format, and
pass it through an XSL-FO stylesheet to produce the input to FOP.  Obviously
the size and position of the content is important because we basically
translate what the user designs in the web app into a PDF that looks the
same as his/her design.

In practice the web app only shows one page in the canvas so it is
implicitly assumed that the output will always be one page. However, as I
mentioned there is one table always and the table length depends on the
number of rows, which in turn depends on dynamic data that we (the server)
does not know upfront. In most cases the table will fit within one page so
there would not be a problem. But I want to deal with the more rare case
when the table length is such that it should go over the first page and into
the second page.

I haven't reflected this variable table in the XSL-FO I posted because I
didn't know that the issue I am facing has to do with absolute positioning.
But essentially the table also lives within an absolute positioned block.

So I now have to rephrase the question. Can I have a table within an
absolute postioned block container go over to a second page it its length
requires so ?. I guess that the answer is no, but I better ask. If the
answer is no, given my description of the objective, can you think of a
different way of trying to achieve the objective ?.

Thank you very much again for your help. It is very much appreciated.

Regards,
Fernando