From Giuseppe Briotti <g.brio...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: block-progression-dimension: how it works?
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2011 10:36:23 GMT
2011/6/13 Vincent Hennebert <vhennebert@gmail.com>:
> Hi Giuseppe,
>
> This is a FOP limitation, as you found out the hard way. FOP does not
> make use of the flexibility in block-progression-dimension to adjust the
> height of the block according to the content. It uses only the optimum
> value. Likewise for tables: a table row will only grow as much as
> necessary to accommodate all its content, but the potential slack will
> not be used.
>
> Sorry,
> Vincent

I discover that this is a FO limitation too ;-)

I solved creating an extension to Saxon. I pass the nodes as
parameters and the exstimate the resulting heights programmatically
with Java2D and adopt a strategy to obtain a fit (including a font
resize if necessary). The extension return the final evaluated values
to xslt and here it is possible to use such values in
block-progression-dimension attribute.

It works fine.

G.

--