From mehdi houshmand <med1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Configure fonts for FOP
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2011 06:45:09 GMT
Hi Fernando,

I'll address each question individually:

On 27 July 2011 23:29, Fernando Israel <fernando.israel@kognoz.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I know this is a recurring issue but going through the documentation and
> forum listings I am still no clear but I hope I know what to ask.
</snip>

> The questions I have (and pardon my ignorance but fonts is not my subject)
> are:
> 1. What type of font files do I have to package ? TTF, TTC .. ?.

If you're producing PDF you can use either TTF or TTC.

> 2. Once I create the jar file if I put it in the same directory as fop.jar I
> guess FOP will find it, right ?.

http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/1.0/fonts.html should help you
configure the fonts appropriately. The font metrics files are
deprecated, so no need for that, but you will have to configure the
fop.xconf to let FOP know the directory of the font file.

> 3. If I go this route, do I have to tell FOP anything else (for instance in
> the configuration file) ?

See the link above.

> 4. Does FOP always looks first in the classpath for fonts ?

No, if FOP isn't explicitly given the font configuration, it looks in
the System fonts, which are, as the name suggests, OS dependent. I
don't think putting the font in the classpath makes the slightest bit
of difference, FOP still won't have a font-name and so no way to link
the font to a font-family in the FO.

Hope that helps, there is also an example config file in <fop
directory>/conf/fop.xconf, which should help you get started

Mehdi