From Craig Ringer <ring...@ringerc.id.au>
Subject Re: POstScrit Fonts
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2012 02:39:56 GMT
On 19/01/12 01:10, Chris Bowditch wrote:
> On 18/01/2012 13:13, Robert Eberhardt wrote:
>> Hello Craig,
>
> Hi Robert,
>

>> as far as i know a pfb, a afm and a pfm file is needed. At least
>> under fop 0.95. Did this change under fop 1.0.
>
> FOP v1.0 does not introduce support for OTF CFF glyphs. This is a
> feature we would like too! You mwill need to work around the
> limitation using an approach like Craig suggested.

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell fop can also only handle simple
1-byte encoding fonts for PostScript output. You might be OK with this,
but if you need broad charset support like me you'll be stuffed.

I currently get to pick between:

- Abbreviated fonts without half the symbols I need that *do* work with
PostScript output; or
- Fonts that don't work with PostScript output but do contain all the
symbols I need

I'd love to use direct PDF instead of PostScript output, but I'm being
bitten by the inability to de-duplicate embedded subsets when PDFs are
inserted using fop-pdf-image. Distiller can de-duplicate subsets when
converting PostScript to PDF, so using fop's PostScript output lets me
work around that fop-pdf-image limitation. Or at least it would, if only
I could use the fonts I need with PS output...

I'm working on implementing font subset merging in fop-pdf-image, or at
least font re-embedding, but it's quite complicated to do and will take
time, esp as I have to get this project out the door and working ASAP so
I can't put too much time into that right now. I seem to be hitting
another limitation whenever I find a workaround for one, though.

This one seems insoluible: If fop can't use 2-byte encoded fonts in PS
output, and can't dedupe subset fonts in PDF output, I'm stuck.

--
Craig Ringer