From Klearchos Klearchou <klearchos.klearc...@eurodyn.com>
Subject Re: Image Print size and quality
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2012 15:29:10 GMT
Hello Pascal,

the solution that we talked about works well almost in all cases.
Here is the code:
<fo:external-graphic src="{$imageLink}" border="solid 3px #8CE18D"

inline-progression-dimension.maximum="{$imageMaxBoundary}"
                                 content-width="scale-to-fit"

block-progression-dimension.maximum="{$imageMaxBoundary}"
                                 content-height="scale-to-fit"
                             />

Now when the image is rectangle the scale does not work.
I am attaching an image, on the left hand side the image is 310 x 300
and FOP scales it well.
On the right hand side is the same image but 300 x 300. As you can see
FOP fails to scale it.
It overflows out of the box.

Do you have any idea what it could be?

Thank you in advance

On 1/17/2012 5:47 PM, Pascal Sancho wrote:
> We use imageMagik
>
> Le 17/01/2012 15:32, Klearchos Klearchou a écrit :
>> Pascal,
>>
>> the information that you provide are valuable.
>> Can you propose any open source library in order to manipulate the
>> quality/resolution of the image?
>> I tried the imgscalr, getScaledInstance(), Thumbnailator and some more
>> but they do not provide em exactly what I want.
>> I haven't tried yet JMajick.
>>
>> Thanks again.
>>

>> On 1/17/2012 4:18 PM, Pascal Sancho wrote:
>>> Quality loss may depend on PDF viewer settings and capabilities
>>>      (anti-aliasing, zoom factor, etc.)
>>> Also, the result can seem better if you first resample your image before
>>> using in PDF, to get the best fit on screen reading, but can become
>>> worse on printing.
>>>
>>> Depending on what usages your PDF are for (reading on screen, Laser
>>> printing, Offset printing, low weight downloading, etc.)
>>> There is no perfect solution there.
>>>
>>> For example, we (my compagny) produce images with different
>>> quality/resolution for identified purposes, and generate as many PDF files.
>>>
>>> The only constant over various resampled images is the real size:
>>> for instance, a square image (1"x1") will give:
>>> 96x96, rez 1/96" for screen reading;
>>> 300x300, rez 1/300" for Laser printing;
>>> 120x120, rez 1/120" for Dowload _and_print;
>>> etc.

FOP