From Chris Bowditch <bowditch_ch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: POstScrit Fonts
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2012 08:51:52 GMT
On 20/01/2012 01:59, Craig Ringer wrote:

Hi Craig,

> On 19/01/12 19:54, Chris Bowditch wrote:
>> That's true of FOP trunk, but we have developed advanced font support
>> for Postscript in a branch named TTFinPostscript, which we've
>> successfully used to generate Chinese and Thai output. If you checkout
>> and compile the branch you can use the feature too. Although I believe
>> there are a few bugs which are fixed by a (as yet unapplied) patch in
>> Bugzilla. So if you run into a bug using the branch you will need to
>> apply the patch.
>>
> Ooh, that's promising. I'll check it out.
>
> (On a side note, I wonder if fop'll move to git at any point?
> Bugzilla-patch ->  svn branch isn't the most fun workflow for
> non-committer contributors).
I know there's a lot of folks in favour of GIT. There's been a lot of
discussion on infra@ about moving Apache projects to GIT. Personally I
don't understand why GIT helps with applying patches. It's easy to
switch your SVN sandbox to the branch or create a new checkout from the
branch. Applying the patch is just a question of right clicking on the
patch file and choosing "Apply Patch" then running through the file list
and clicking save if there are no conflicts. There shouldn't be any
conflicts, Mehdi prepared the patch against the TTFinPS branch.

To me GIT seems overly complicated for the day to day tasks of
developing against a handful of branches.

Thanks,

Chris