From Rob Sargent <rsarg...@xmission.com>
Subject Re: Different Page Layout every xx document sheet
Date Mon, 27 Feb 2012 23:32:46 GMT
mod(position(), $correct-count) = 0 of course!

On 02/26/2012 02:46 PM, Alexios Giotis wrote:
> Rob thank you for all your replies. The suggestion with iText, if I understood correctly,
assumes that the front page of every 7th sheet will contain only the address. So, I could
insert the address pages.  But in reality, the address is only a horizontal area of the page.
Above and below that area, there will be some data, e.g. a front page of a sheet like this
could contain the following lines:

> 499
> 500
> 501
> Address line1
> Address line2
> Address line3
> 502
> 503
> 504
>
> I thought that it would be a case that other people had met and resolved. I will have
a deeper look and I will update if I find how to achieve this in FOP  by only writing xsl:fo.

> Alex Giotis
>

> On Feb 26, 2012, at 6:01 PM, Rob Sargent wrote:
>
>> OK, you've convinced me that you cannot do what you're hoping to accomplish in apache
FOP.  You cannot have a zero-sized flow on a page far as I know and that's what you would
need to get the address only on those pages (in some static region).

>> This is not the "trick" I hinted at but might be a better solution anyway.
>>
>> Make the pdf without worrying about the address page(s).
>>
>> Use iText to insert the address page(s) as necessary.
>>
>> I think your case would be quite straight forward:  Open the pdf in iText and insert
an address page after every 6th page of report data.

>> We use iText to affect multiple flows.  We have static regions which need a flow.
 We make those pages in fop with the flow as the region body, then use iText to overlay the
two pages so it appears that there are two separate two columns portions of the page.

>> Now a printing house incapable of more the six pages or at least doing the collating
necessary to cover their shortcomings is another very interesting question.

>> On 02/26/2012 05:06 AM, Alexios Giotis wrote:
>>> The number of "groups of seven" is not known in advance, it depends on the input
data but the total number of pages will be less than 100. The use case is like this:

>>> We are printing statements (transactional data) and each statement has a different
number of pages depending on the customer. Each statement is enveloped and dispatched. The
printing house has only one type of enveloping machine that can fit at most 6 sheets into
an envelope. When a document is larger than 6 sheets, it is splited into envelopes and all
of them are send to the same address. Each envelope has a 'window' in a predefined area where
the address is printed. Therefore, on every 7th sheet we should print on an absolutely positioned
area, the recipient address. Other than this, the flow of the content will continue from page
to page.

>>> Any XSL:FO suggestion, even if not elegant or not fully resolving this, is welcomed
!

>>> Alex Giotis

reference et al, I'm inclined to agree with Luis.  If you know how many "groups of seven"
you will be making, I can give you a suggestion from something that is working for me.  It
amounts to making as many page references as needed.  Not elegant, but for me it was critical.

I think it should be possible with a fully compliant implementation of FO, at least the way
I understand it. In any case, I would like to be proven wrong...

if you explain how you intend to flow the content from page to page. When you are on page
12th and want to move to page 13th do you let the content flow or do you insert a break?

then it may be possible. Because then it is like a book where you want each chapter to start
on a odd page and you can use the blank-or-not-blank trait to achieve that. However that assumes
you only insert breaks at the end of chapters, which in your case would be the end of every
6th sheet. If you want to insert a break at the end of every page then it will not work.

first, second-sixth, seventh and make a page-sequence-master with a repeatable-page-master-alternative
with a reference to each of the seven pages in the sequence. Not sure if the 2-6 can be in
a conditional-page-master-reference or not.

differently from one another.  In other words does e.g. region-before or page 13 get the same
content as region-before on page 25?