From Craig Ringer <ring...@ringerc.id.au>
Subject XSL-FO 2.0 ?
Date Wed, 29 Feb 2012 07:52:03 GMT
Hi all

As part of reading and research on support for features I need like more
flexible column spans, copyfitting, space-conditional alternative
content, run-arounds, and non-square page masters, I've stumbled across
the XSL-FO 2.0 requirements draft. It seems to specify everything I need:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xslfo20-req/

It was was published in March 2008, and I don't see any working draft of
an XSL-FO 2.0 specification as yet.

I'm finding more and more things where I'm having to break out of the
XSL-FO model to post-process the area tree in order to achieve what I
want. It's getting to the point where I'm questioning whether it's worth
using XSL-FO at all for my processes, despite my requirements being
relatively simple things like vertical space copyfitting with
conditional spacer content where required, reserving blank areas on
specific pages, etc.

I haven't seen any discussion of XSL-FO 2.0 here, perhaps unsurprisingly
given that fop doesn't have full 1.1 support yet.

Has anyone here been looking at XSL-FO 2.0? I'm really eyeing features
from XSL-FO 2.0 like:

- Adjustible region sizes
- n-column spans
- n-column floats (to use with conditional content to match page numbers)
- copyfitting (especially feathering) and space-conditional content
- Text/content before or after a break
- Column balancing
- Spanning columns in nested formatting objects

Anyone know anything about FO 2.0, progress, people interested, etc? How
are others handling these sorts of things?

--
Craig Ringer