From Alexios Giotis <alex.gio...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Inserting holes on nominated pages? Or: Non-square masters (pages with cut-out corners)?
Date Wed, 29 Feb 2012 12:03:05 GMT
Hi Craig,

I don't have an answer, just by reading it I found similarities on what we would like to achieve
on the recent thread "Different Page Layout every xx document sheet". Holes on nominated pages
is similar to a rectangle area (empty or not) every 7th sheet where the address should be
put.

Alex Giotis

On Feb 29, 2012, at 6:23 AM, Craig Ringer wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a document that flows across multiple pages, each of which contains seven columns.
The columns contain tables whose cells are keep-together blocks of data. The exact page on
which any given cell falls isn't known until the typeset completes.

> I need to reserve blocks of space on the pages where the user tells my app to. For example,
I might need to reserve a hole on page 3 that is three columns wide and a 1/2 page high with
a top-left origin. The user generally determines where they want these holes     using processes
outside the knowledge of the application, and the location requirements of these holes can
change between runs.

> I'm really struggling to figure out how to reserve these holes. They're defined in terms
of a page number, origin, and (x,y) dimension, not relative to the flowed content, so I can't
just insert a spacer in the flowed content. Fop doesn't support floats, so I can't use floats
to do the job even if I could figure out exactly how to do so. The holes are rectangular,
but effectively create non-rectangular page flows, meaning I can't just dynamically generate
a page master series with different dimensions for each page depending on hole position requirements.