From Jean-Philippe Courson <jean-philippe.cour...@cognitran.com>
Subject Re: Chinese PDFs and non embedded fonts
Date Fri, 20 Apr 2012 14:24:30 GMT
Hi Robert,

Thanks for your answer.

Yes it is:

  <renderers>
    <renderer mime="application/pdf">
      <filterList>
        <value>flate</value>
      </filterList>
      <fonts>
        <auto-detect/>
      </fonts>
    </renderer>

Best Regards,
JP

On 20 Apr 2012, at 15:15, Robert Meyer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Can you just confirm that when using the referenced-fonts method, the <auto-detect
/> line is within a <fonts> tag pair in the renderer?

> If it is not, then that may be why it is refusing the find the font you are referencing.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Robert Meyer
>
> > From: jean-philippe.courson@cognitran.com
> > Subject: Chinese PDFs and non embedded fonts
> > Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 12:55:59 +0100
> > To: fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to produce chinese PDFs not embedding fonts. I am using the SimSun font.

> > When embedding the font, everything is fine. However, when trying to reference the
font, FOP produced an invalid PDF, despite the Simsun font being installed on the machines
were the PDF is produced and opened.

> > I tried both auto-configuring the fonts and the old style, metric based manual font
configuration:

> > 1) Auto-configured fonts:
> >
> > <fonts>
> > <referenced-fonts>
> > <match font-family=".*"/>
> > </referenced-fonts>
> > </fonts>
> > <renderers>
> > <renderer mime="application/pdf">
> > <auto-detect/>
> >
> > The produced PDF shows # characters for every chinese symbol.
> >
> > 2) Manually configured fonts:
> >
> > <renderers>
> > <renderer mime="application/pdf">
> > <fonts>
> >
> > a) Metric file generated with the default options:
> >
> > java -cp ... org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader SimSun.ttf SimSun.xml
> >
> > The produced PDF can not be opened by Acrobat Reader which gives the following error
message: "Cannot find or create the font 'SimSun'. Some characters may not display or print
correctly".

> > b) Metric file generated with the -enc ansi options:
> >
> > java -cp ... org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader -enc ansi SimSun.ttf SimSun.xml
> >
> > The produced PDF shows # characters for every chinese symbol.
> >
> > Having a look at http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/trunk/fonts.html#truetype-metrics,
and in particular:

> > TTFReader [options]:
> > • -enc ansi Creates a WinAnsi-encoded font metrics file. Without this option,
a CID-keyed font metrics file is created. The table below summarises the differences between
these two encoding options as currently used within FOP. Please note that this information
only applies to TrueType fonts and TrueType collections:
> > Issue WinAnsi	 CID-keyed
> > Usable Character Set Limited to WinAnsi character set, which is roughly equivalent
to iso-8889-1.	Limited only by the characters in the font itself.
> > Embedding the Font Optional. Mandatory. Not embedding the font produces invalid
PDF documents.

> > it looks like you need to use the -enc ansi to be able to reference a font. Does
this mean that have to use WinAnsi (windows-1252) encoding for the input XML files?

> > If it is the case, that would mean to produce for example chinese PDFs, you would
have to embed the font, as windows-1252 cannot be used to encode chinese symbols.

> > Am I missing something or the only way to produce chinese PDF is to embed the font
with the font licensing costs it implies?