From "ron.vandenbranden@kantl.be" <ron.vandenbran...@kantl.be>
Subject footnotes(?) cause Fop to hang
Date Mon, 04 Jun 2012 13:58:05 GMT
Hi,

I have an annoying problem, in that I can't pinpoint it exactly. I'm
using Fop-1.0 to generate PDF files in a web app. The XSL-FO source file
is derived from a master XML file via XSLT, according to selected user
parameters. Depending on the complexity of the visualization options
(which mostly affect the number of footnotes to be generated), the
rendering process seems to halt at certain points.

The problem seems to be related to the number and/or length of
footnotes, which causes the PDF rendering to hang at a certain point.
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to trace the cause of this problem in
the FO tree. In order to get some more information, I tried to process
such a problematic XSL-FO file with the CLI version of Fop-trunk (rev.
1345838), which also hangs, but provides more output. The sole output I
get from running CLI Fop-trunk, is:

   4-jun-2012 15:00:58 org.apache.fop.fo.properties.PropertyCache fetch
   INFO: 10 hashCode() collisions for org.apache.fop.fo.properties.CondLengthProperty
   4-jun-2012 15:00:58 org.apache.fop.fo.properties.PropertyCache fetch
   INFO: 10 hashCode() collisions for org.apache.fop.fo.properties.CommonBorderPaddingBackground
   4-jun-2012 15:00:58 org.apache.fop.fo.properties.PropertyCache fetch
   INFO: 20 hashCode() collisions for org.apache.fop.fo.properties.CondLengthProperty
   4-jun-2012 15:00:58 org.apache.fop.fo.properties.PropertyCache fetch
   INFO: 20 hashCode() collisions for org.apache.fop.fo.properties.CommonBorderPaddingBackground
   [... many repetitions of above messages ...]
   4-jun-2012 15:01:01 org.apache.fop.events.LoggingEventListener processEvent
   INFO: Rendered page #144.

...after which the rendering hangs without finishing.

I'll try to attach the (anonymized) XSL-FO source as well as the STDOUT
output messages it produces.

Since this makes PDF generation highly unstable for my web app, *any*
help / pointers for further debugging are much appreciated! If it can be
of any help: Fop-0.20.5 doesn't have this problem (though downgrading to
that version is no option for me).

Kind regards,

Ron