From "Christopher R. Maden" <cr...@maden.org>
Subject Re: Vietnamese complex-script support?
Date Thu, 01 Aug 2013 15:04:16 GMT
On 08/01/2013 09:49 AM, Pascal Sancho wrote:
> I'm not sure there is a specific script for Vietnamese. IIUC, this
> can be written either with latin script, or with a chinese subset
> script.
> Both Latin ans Chinese scripts are handled correctly with Fop,
> without complex script feature. You should just feed FOP with an
> appropriate font. Maybe I'm wrong; Glenn can confirm | infirm?

I’ll let Jonathan clarify exactly what he meant, but Vietnamese is
typically written in the Latin script with a *lot* of combining
diacritics.  A naïve implementation can result in very ugly characters;
some sophistication is needed to stack multiple combining characters
correctly.

~Chris
“Peace has other governments that don’t go through the will of
 politicians.” — Mia Couto, “Rain, the Dreamsend” (tr. Austen Hyde)
GnuPG fingerprint: DB08 CF6C 2583 7F55 3BE9  A210 4A51 DBAC 5C5C 3D5E