From Alexios Giotis <alex.gio...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Batch output
Date Sun, 24 Nov 2013 21:03:20 GMT
Hi Gonzalo,

The 2nd point is about concatenating files in FOP intermediate format, not XSL:FO (see [1]).
Each document can have its own page masters, since this is defined in the XSL:FO.

[1] http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/1.1/intermediate.html

Alex Giotis

On 22 Nov 2013, at 16:33, Gonzalo Vasquez <gvasquez@altiuz.cl> wrote:

> Sounds good the idea of concatenating FO files, but how can that actually be achieved
if using several page masters?

> Gonzalo Vásquez Sáez
> Gerente Investigación y Desarrollo (R&D)
> Altiuz Soluciones Tecnológicas de Negocios Ltda.
> Av. Nueva Tajamar 555 Of. 802, Las Condes - CP 7550099
> +56 2 335 2461
> gvasquez@altiuz.cl
> http://www.altiuz.cl
> http://www.altiuzreports.com
>

> El 22-11-2013, a las 6:02, Alexios Giotis <alex.giotis@gmail.com> escribió:
>
>> For the first case, each document should be rendered separately but you may reuse
the FopFactory to speed it up.

>> For the 2nd case, I assume that the output file of the printing process has thousand
of pages and if so, my recommendation is to generate FOP intermediate format for each document
(a FOP specific XML format) and then concatenate the FOP intermediate format files to final
PDF,AFP or PS output file(s). Although you mentioned a single output file, if you exceed 50
thousand pages, you might need to split it. The number depends on the complexity of the documents.
By splitting, the memory requirements are reduced and the concatenation can also be executed
in parallel. A small example for generating the intermediate format and then concatenating
exists at [1].

>> HTH,
>> Alex Giotis
>>

>> [1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/examples/embedding/java/embedding/intermediate/ExampleConcat.java?view=markup

either for email sending, or for printing.

formats. Now we are trying to move everything to FO generated documents, so we can you a single
template for all output formats.

every document in a separate context, or is there any fo-related trick to achieve this in
a better way?
the template just once for all documents and the "add" the data to get a huge document with
all the subdocuments in it?