From Gonzalo Vasquez <gvasq...@altiuz.cl>
Subject Re: Batch output
Date Fri, 22 Nov 2013 14:33:25 GMT
Sounds good the idea of concatenating FO files, but how can that actually be achieved if using
several page masters?

Gonzalo Vásquez Sáez
Gerente Investigación y Desarrollo (R&D)
Altiuz Soluciones Tecnológicas de Negocios Ltda.
Av. Nueva Tajamar 555 Of. 802, Las Condes - CP 7550099
+56 2 335 2461
gvasquez@altiuz.cl
http://www.altiuz.cl
http://www.altiuzreports.com

El 22-11-2013, a las 6:02, Alexios Giotis <alex.giotis@gmail.com> escribió:

> For the first case, each document should be rendered separately but you may reuse the
FopFactory to speed it up.

> For the 2nd case, I assume that the output file of the printing process has thousand
of pages and if so, my recommendation is to generate FOP intermediate format for each document
(a FOP specific XML format) and then concatenate the FOP intermediate format files to final
PDF,AFP or PS output file(s). Although you mentioned a single output file, if you exceed 50
thousand pages, you might need to split it. The number depends on the complexity of the documents.
By splitting, the memory requirements are reduced and the concatenation can also be executed
in parallel. A small example for generating the intermediate format and then concatenating
exists at [1].

> HTH,
> Alex Giotis
>

> [1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/examples/embedding/java/embedding/intermediate/ExampleConcat.java?view=markup
>

>> On 11/21/2013 02:11 PM, Gonzalo Vasquez wrote:
>>> One of our processes has to deal with thousands of documents in a batch process,
either for email sending, or for printing.

>>> Depending on our customers' needs, we choose from PDF, AFP and PS as output formats.
Now we are trying to move everything to FO generated documents, so we can you a single template
for all output formats.

>>> Several questions arise:
>>>
>>> 	• On the email process (many files as output), do I have to deal with every
document in a separate context, or is there any fo-related trick to achieve this in a better
way?
>>> 	• In the printing process (single file output), is there anyway to feed the
template just once for all documents and the "add" the data to get a huge document with all
the subdocuments in it?

>>> http://www.altiuz.cl