From Alexios Giotis <alex.gio...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Batch output
Date Fri, 22 Nov 2013 09:02:48 GMT
For the first case, each document should be rendered separately but you may reuse the FopFactory
to speed it up.

For the 2nd case, I assume that the output file of the printing process has thousand of pages
and if so, my recommendation is to generate FOP intermediate format for each document (a FOP
specific XML format) and then concatenate the FOP intermediate format files to final PDF,AFP
or PS output file(s). Although you mentioned a single output file, if you exceed 50 thousand
pages, you might need to split it. The number depends on the complexity of the documents.
By splitting, the memory requirements are reduced and the concatenation can also be executed
in parallel. A small example for generating the intermediate format and then concatenating
exists at [1].

HTH,
Alex Giotis

[1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/examples/embedding/java/embedding/intermediate/ExampleConcat.java?view=markup

> On 11/21/2013 02:11 PM, Gonzalo Vasquez wrote:
>> One of our processes has to deal with thousands of documents in a batch process,
either for email sending, or for printing.

>> Depending on our customers' needs, we choose from PDF, AFP and PS as output formats.
Now we are trying to move everything to FO generated documents, so we can you a single template
for all output formats.

>> Several questions arise:
>>
>> 	• On the email process (many files as output), do I have to deal with every document
in a separate context, or is there any fo-related trick to achieve this in a better way?
>> 	• In the printing process (single file output), is there anyway to feed the template
just once for all documents and the "add" the data to get a huge document with all the subdocuments
in it?