From Chris Bowditch <bowditch_ch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Rendering issue in image output when setting BufferedImage.TYPE_BYTE_BINARY
Date Thu, 16 Jan 2014 11:35:25 GMT
Hi Frank,

The problem is caused by lack of support for dithering when converting
to B+W output. This is mentioned in the documentation at [1]

Thanks,

Chris

[1] http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/trunk/output.html#bitmap

On 15/01/2014 18:10, Frank B wrote:
> I'm creating a barcode using barcode4j. The barcode is sourrounded by a dashed border.
When generating an image using BufferedImage.TYPE_INT_RGB or BufferedImage.TYPE_BYTE_GRAY,
the border is rendered properly. However, when using BufferedImage.TYPE_BYTE_BINARY, the border
is broken. It renders properly for PDF output.

> I attached sample code and the generated PNGs. The rendering issue doesn't depend on
the image type. The same issue occurs for a TIFF output with TIFFConstants.COMPRESSION_CCITT_T6
and BufferedImage.TYPE_BYTE_BINARY.

> - TYPE_BYTE_BINARY.png: how the broken border looks like.
> - TYPE_BYTE_GRAY.png: what it should look like.
> - TYPE_INT_RGB_details.png: shows how the dashed border is generated. It uses svg and
diagonal bars that clip the border.