From Lembit Gerz <Lembit.G...@nortal.com>
Subject RE: Encoding problem with one specific letter and postscript
Date Sun, 12 Oct 2014 19:42:05 GMT
To add watermarks or other transformations to the document.
The current  setup is the following: generate postscript -> apply an awk skript to the
ps, that for example adds a watermark -> convert the ps to pdf.
I know it might be a hacky solution, but unfortunately changing this setup is currently out
of the question.

From: Glenn Adams [mailto:glenn@skynav.com]
Sent: 12. oktoober 2014. a. 22:31
To: FOP Users
Subject: Re: Encoding problem with one specific letter and postscript

Why aren't generating PDF directly from FOP?

On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 1:16 PM, Lembit Gerz <Lembit.Gerz@nortal.com<mailto:Lembit.Gerz@nortal.com>>
wrote:
Hello,

I am using FOP 1.1 to generate postscript files with embedded fonts. Later I’m using ps2pdf
to convert the postscript files to pdfs. The text includes Lithuanian letters.
However, after coverting them to pdf, two specific letters are displayed as squares, all the
ohter Lituhuanian letters are displayed correctly. The problematic letters are the upper-
and lowercase letters ė and Ė (e with dot, 0116 and 0117 in unicode). I can copy all the
letters from the pdf (including the two problematic ones – when copying the square and pasting
it somewhere, it displays the letter correctly).
I am using the standard Arial font from Windows fonts (arial.ttf).
This is my fop-config.xml:
<configuration>
    <renderers>
        <renderer mime="application/postscript">
           <auto-rotate-landscape>true</auto-rotate-landscape>
           <fonts>
           </fonts>
        </renderer>
    </renderers>
</configuration>

When leaving out the encoding-mode=“single-byte“, the letters display correctly, but when
copying from the pdf, I get gibberish.
When generating straight to pdf with FOP, everything is displayed correctly and copying is
also possible.
I have tried other ps->pdf converters and they give the same result.
Using a metric file did not help.

The problem can be reproduced with the xml and xslt in the fop quick start guide (https://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/quickstartguide.html)
with these modifications:
Set the name in name.xml to ABC14pąęčėųūĘĖŲČĄ.
Add the attribute font-familiy=“Arial“ to the fo:block in name2fo.xsl.
Use the above fop-config file and include the standard Arial font in FOP’s directory.
Run ’fop -xml name.xml -xsl name2fo.xsl -ps name.ps<http://name.ps> -c fop-config.xml’

Can anyone suggest, what could be the issue or how should I go about debugging this?
Thank You.

Lembit