From Andreas Delmelle <andreas.delme...@telenet.be>
Subject Re: FOP hyphenate-ladder-count and pre-hyphenated text
Date Fri, 08 May 2015 15:31:44 GMT
> On 08 May 2015, at 08:59, Marc Wiest <Marc.Wiest@getAbstract.com> wrote:
>
>> Seems like some refactoring may be in order here, to streamline and better merge
the two approaches.
>> @Marc: Will you log a request for enhancement in JIRA for this, or shall I?
>
> @Andreas: thank you very much for that thorough feedback and insight into how it all
works. It's the way I suspected it to be :( I would appreciate you making the request, because
you, for sure, can articulate the problem more accurately and precisely than I ever could.

OK, will do.

<snip />

> I'll see if I find the time to pull the source code and see if I can fix problem 1. myself
(being able to add hyphenation exception to the actual FOP hyphenation system at runtime)
and send a pull request - if I manage to find a solution that seems to be general enough to
serve other people, too.
> My idea would be to
> 1. Create or find a public Java-method for building .hyp files from (updated) .xml hyphenation
patterns - containing the exceptions, so this could be done on-the-fly. As I understand, this
is now part of the build process of FOP.

If you haven’t already found it, be sure to have a look at class org.apache.fop.SerializeHyphPattern,
which is used for that purpose during the build process. The class is part of the regular
source tree, so should be easy to locate.

Be aware though, that since this file is normally used during the build process, there are
no guarantees that it is safe and fit for use in a web container context… If you experience
issues in your attempts, be sure to post to fop-dev@.

Hope this helps!

KR

Andreas