From Michel Krämer <michel.krae...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Place image at top of page
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2016 14:51:14 GMT
… You know, it would be great if there was something like a footnote, just for the top of
the page! :-) That would actually be what I need. :-)

Michel

> On 28 Nov 2016, at 15:44, Michel Krämer <michel.kraemer@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Szeak!
>
> This works! Thank you so much.
>
> Do I understand it correctly that I need to know in advance on which page my figure appears?
So if I need it on page 100 I will have to repeat <fo:single-page-master-reference master-reference="content"/>
99 times?

> I'm asking because I'm generating a rather large document from DocBook using XSLT. There
are many figures on different pages and I want to put some of them to the top of their respective
page. I guess there is no easy solution for this with FOP, right?

> Michel
>

>> On 28 Nov 2016, at 14:04, Szeak (Register Man) <szeak33@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> My solution for your need is:
>>
>> <fo:layout-master-set>
>>       <fo:simple-page-master master-name="content" page-height="297mm" page-width="210mm"
margin="0.2in">
>>           <fo:region-body>
>>           </fo:region-body>
>>       </fo:simple-page-master>
>>       <fo:simple-page-master master-name="content-with-header" page-height="297mm"
page-width="210mm" margin="0.2in">
>>           <fo:region-body margin-top="2.5in"/>
>>           <fo:region-before extent="2.5in"/>
>>       </fo:simple-page-master>
>>
>>       <fo:page-sequence-master master-name="mixed-content">
>>           <fo:single-page-master-reference master-reference="content"/>
>>           <fo:single-page-master-reference master-reference="content-with-header"/>
>>           <fo:repeatable-page-master-reference master-reference="content"/>
>>       </fo:page-sequence-master>
>>   </fo:layout-master-set>
>>   <fo:page-sequence master-reference="mixed-content">
>>       <fo:static-content flow-name="xsl-region-before">
>>           <fo:block font-size="11pt" font-style="italic" font-weight="normal"
hyphenate="false" keep-with-previous.within-column="always" line-stacking-strategy="font-height"
space-after.maximum="1.7em" space-after.minimum="1.3em" space-after.optimum="1.5em" space-before.maximum="0em"
space-before.minimum="0em" space-before.optimum="0em" text-indent="0pt">
>>               Figure 3.1 Layers of code in a complex software architecture
>>           </fo:block>
>>           <fo:block background-color="red" id="img-layers-of-code" keep-together.within-column="always"
text-align="center">
>>               <fo:block id="d69e465" text-align="center">
>>                   <fo:external-graphic content-height="auto" content-width="66%"
height="auto" src="url(https://placeholdit.imgix.net/~text?txtsize=33&amp;txt=350%C3%97150&amp;w=350&amp;h=150&amp;fm=png)"
width="auto">
>>                   </fo:external-graphic>
>>               </fo:block>
>>               <fo:block font-size="11pt" font-style="italic" font-weight="normal"
hyphenate="false" keep-with-previous.within-column="always" line-stacking-strategy="font-height"
space-after.maximum="1.7em" space-after.minimum="1.3em" space-after.optimum="1.5em" space-before.maximum="0em"
space-before.minimum="0em" space-before.optimum="0em" text-indent="0pt">
>>                   Figure 1 Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
>>               </fo:block>
>>           </fo:block>
>>       </fo:static-content>
>>       <fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">
>>
>> ....  the content of body
>>
>> Bye

>>> Yes, that's what I want! :-) I want to place an image at the top of a page, no
matter how many paragraphs I have. I want to place it at the top of the very page, where I
put the image, just like you do it in latex with

>>> begin{figure}[t!]
>>> …
>>> \end{figure}

>>> That's very much appreciated. Thank you so much!
>>>
>>> Michel

definition I get the following error:

"fo:flow" may be declared. (See position 222:48)

endless loop and won't stop generating pages.

Maybe I'm just missing something. I uploaded my small example here:

22 and 23. You'll also see that paragraph 20 breaks at the end of page 1 and continues at
page 2. I want to place the image at the top of page two, so right in the middle of paragraph
20.

just like you can do it in LaTeX:

by placing the image absolutely or something like that?

but not fully yet. There is a BeforeFloat class that is supposed to place blocks in the before-float
area, but even if I use <fo:float float="before"> this class never receives any children.
The float also disappears from the output PDF.

to implement the solution myself. I'm a Java programmer and if anyone could give me some pointers
on where to start and what is missing in the current code I'd probably be able to fill the
gaps.