From Frank Hirsch <frank.hir...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Place image at top of page
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2016 15:03:49 GMT
What Szeak describes is a valid option - still it does require to „break“ the flow if I
well understand the requirement (based on master)?
Maybe using an absolute positioned block element which is anchored to the related information
might as well be a possible option?
https://www.data2type.de/xml/foref.html#absolute-position <https://www.data2type.de/xml/foref.html#absolute-position>

Thus the figure should appear on whatever page the related text will be rendered…

Just an idea,
Frank

> Am 28.11.2016 um 15:51 schrieb Michel Krämer <michel.kraemer@googlemail.com>:
>
> … You know, it would be great if there was something like a footnote, just for the
top of the page! :-) That would actually be what I need. :-)

> Michel
>

>> On 28 Nov 2016, at 15:44, Michel Krämer <michel.kraemer@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Szeak!
>>
>> This works! Thank you so much.
>>
>> Do I understand it correctly that I need to know in advance on which page my figure
appears? So if I need it on page 100 I will have to repeat <fo:single-page-master-reference
master-reference="content"/> 99 times?

>> I'm asking because I'm generating a rather large document from DocBook using XSLT.
There are many figures on different pages and I want to put some of them to the top of their
respective page. I guess there is no easy solution for this with FOP, right?

>> Michel
>>

>>> On 28 Nov 2016, at 14:04, Szeak (Register Man) <szeak33@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> My solution for your need is:
>>>
>>> <fo:layout-master-set>
>>>      <fo:simple-page-master master-name="content" page-height="297mm" page-width="210mm"
margin="0.2in">
>>>          <fo:region-body>
>>>          </fo:region-body>
>>>      </fo:simple-page-master>
>>>      <fo:simple-page-master master-name="content-with-header" page-height="297mm"
page-width="210mm" margin="0.2in">
>>>          <fo:region-body margin-top="2.5in"/>
>>>          <fo:region-before extent="2.5in"/>
>>>      </fo:simple-page-master>
>>>
>>>      <fo:page-sequence-master master-name="mixed-content">
>>>          <fo:single-page-master-reference master-reference="content"/>
>>>          <fo:single-page-master-reference master-reference="content-with-header"/>
>>>          <fo:repeatable-page-master-reference master-reference="content"/>
>>>      </fo:page-sequence-master>
>>>  </fo:layout-master-set>
>>>  <fo:page-sequence master-reference="mixed-content">
>>>      <fo:static-content flow-name="xsl-region-before">
>>>          <fo:block font-size="11pt" font-style="italic" font-weight="normal"
hyphenate="false" keep-with-previous.within-column="always" line-stacking-strategy="font-height"
space-after.maximum="1.7em" space-after.minimum="1.3em" space-after.optimum="1.5em" space-before.maximum="0em"
space-before.minimum="0em" space-before.optimum="0em" text-indent="0pt">
>>>              Figure 3.1 Layers of code in a complex software architecture
>>>          </fo:block>
>>>          <fo:block background-color="red" id="img-layers-of-code" keep-together.within-column="always"
text-align="center">
>>>              <fo:block id="d69e465" text-align="center">
>>>                  <fo:external-graphic content-height="auto" content-width="66%"
height="auto" src="url(https://placeholdit.imgix.net/~text?txtsize=33&amp;txt=350%C3%97150&amp;w=350&amp;h=150&amp;fm=png)"
width="auto">
>>>                  </fo:external-graphic>
>>>              </fo:block>
>>>              <fo:block font-size="11pt" font-style="italic" font-weight="normal"
hyphenate="false" keep-with-previous.within-column="always" line-stacking-strategy="font-height"
space-after.maximum="1.7em" space-after.minimum="1.3em" space-after.optimum="1.5em" space-before.maximum="0em"
space-before.minimum="0em" space-before.optimum="0em" text-indent="0pt">
>>>                  Figure 1 Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
>>>              </fo:block>
>>>          </fo:block>
>>>      </fo:static-content>
>>>      <fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">
>>>
>>> ....  the content of body
>>>
>>> Bye

no matter how many paragraphs I have. I want to place it at the top of the very page, where
I put the image, just like you do it in latex with

page-sequence definition I get the following error:

one "fo:flow" may be declared. (See position 222:48)

in an endless loop and won't stop generating pages.

Maybe I'm just missing something. I uploaded my small example here:

22 and 23. You'll also see that paragraph 20 breaks at the end of page 1 and continues at
page 2. I want to place the image at the top of page two, so right in the middle of paragraph
20.

region-name="myHeader" extent="1in"/>

page, just like you can do it in LaTeX:

by placing the image absolutely or something like that?

implemented but not fully yet. There is a BeforeFloat class that is supposed to place blocks
in the before-float area, but even if I use <fo:float float="before"> this class never
receives any children. The float also disappears from the output PDF.

interested to implement the solution myself. I'm a Java programmer and if anyone could give
me some pointers on where to start and what is missing in the current code I'd probably be
able to fill the gaps.