From Michel Krämer <michel.krae...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Place image at top of page
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2016 14:44:05 GMT
Hi Szeak!

This works! Thank you so much.

Do I understand it correctly that I need to know in advance on which page my figure appears?
So if I need it on page 100 I will have to repeat <fo:single-page-master-reference master-reference="content"/>
99 times?

I'm asking because I'm generating a rather large document from DocBook using XSLT. There are
many figures on different pages and I want to put some of them to the top of their respective
page. I guess there is no easy solution for this with FOP, right?

Michel

> On 28 Nov 2016, at 14:04, Szeak (Register Man) <szeak33@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> My solution for your need is:
>
> <fo:layout-master-set>
>        <fo:simple-page-master master-name="content" page-height="297mm" page-width="210mm"
margin="0.2in">
>            <fo:region-body>
>            </fo:region-body>
>        </fo:simple-page-master>
>        <fo:simple-page-master master-name="content-with-header" page-height="297mm"
page-width="210mm" margin="0.2in">
>            <fo:region-body margin-top="2.5in"/>
>            <fo:region-before extent="2.5in"/>
>        </fo:simple-page-master>
>
>        <fo:page-sequence-master master-name="mixed-content">
>            <fo:single-page-master-reference master-reference="content"/>
>            <fo:single-page-master-reference master-reference="content-with-header"/>
>            <fo:repeatable-page-master-reference master-reference="content"/>
>        </fo:page-sequence-master>
>    </fo:layout-master-set>
>    <fo:page-sequence master-reference="mixed-content">
>        <fo:static-content flow-name="xsl-region-before">
>            <fo:block font-size="11pt" font-style="italic" font-weight="normal" hyphenate="false"
keep-with-previous.within-column="always" line-stacking-strategy="font-height" space-after.maximum="1.7em"
space-after.minimum="1.3em" space-after.optimum="1.5em" space-before.maximum="0em" space-before.minimum="0em"
space-before.optimum="0em" text-indent="0pt">
>                Figure 3.1 Layers of code in a complex software architecture
>            </fo:block>
>            <fo:block background-color="red" id="img-layers-of-code" keep-together.within-column="always"
text-align="center">
>                <fo:block id="d69e465" text-align="center">
>                    <fo:external-graphic content-height="auto" content-width="66%"
height="auto" src="url(https://placeholdit.imgix.net/~text?txtsize=33&amp;txt=350%C3%97150&amp;w=350&amp;h=150&amp;fm=png)"
width="auto">
>                    </fo:external-graphic>
>                </fo:block>
>                <fo:block font-size="11pt" font-style="italic" font-weight="normal"
hyphenate="false" keep-with-previous.within-column="always" line-stacking-strategy="font-height"
space-after.maximum="1.7em" space-after.minimum="1.3em" space-after.optimum="1.5em" space-before.maximum="0em"
space-before.minimum="0em" space-before.optimum="0em" text-indent="0pt">
>                    Figure 1 Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
>                </fo:block>
>            </fo:block>
>        </fo:static-content>
>        <fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">
>
> ....  the content of body
>
> Bye

>>> If you want displaying the image exactly on top of the second page?
>> Yes, that's what I want! :-) I want to place an image at the top of a page, no matter
how many paragraphs I have. I want to place it at the top of the very page, where I put the
image, just like you do it in latex with

>> begin{figure}[t!]
>> …
>> \end{figure}
>>
>>> I can help you in this.
>> That's very much appreciated. Thank you so much!
>>
>> Michel
>>

>>> On 28 Nov 2016, at 13:07, Szeak (Register Man) <szeak33@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> If you want placing the image after 20. paragraph, why define it between 22.
and 23?
>>> Or
>>> If you want displaying the image exactly on top of the second page?
>>>
>>> So if you want displaying the image exactly on top of the second page:
>>> You need to define a bit more complex page-masters as now. I can help you in
this.

>>> Don't hesitate to answer.
>>>
>>> Bye, Szeak

definition I get the following error:

may be declared. (See position 222:48)

loop and won't stop generating pages.

Maybe I'm just missing something. I uploaded my small example here:

and 23. You'll also see that paragraph 20 breaks at the end of page 1 and continues at page
2. I want to place the image at the top of page two, so right in the middle of paragraph 20.

the image absolutely or something like that?

but not fully yet. There is a BeforeFloat class that is supposed to place blocks in the before-float
area, but even if I use <fo:float float="before"> this class never receives any children.
The float also disappears from the output PDF.

to implement the solution myself. I'm a Java programmer and if anyone could give me some pointers
on where to start and what is missing in the current code I'd probably be able to fill the
gaps.