From Frank Hirsch <frank.hir...@mac.com>
Subject Re: PDF size reduction
Date Tue, 16 May 2017 16:55:27 GMT
Personally I use Apache FOP for some projects - but I am not quite an expert when it comes
to Java…

As far as I understand you may want to adjust the image resolution/compression to shrink the
size of the files used in you FO - but I am not sure if this can be done automatically using
a different image handling subsystem (https://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.95/graphics.html
<https://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.95/graphics.html>). Changing the color space may
only affect the color profile/representation, but I don’t think this will preprocess the
image size at all (sRGB is just a smaller gamut than Adobe RGB and RGB) - you may just get
a different representation of colors outside the given gammut!

From my perspective, it’s the same thing as placing an image in a layout software: the image
will be used „as is“. Only when it comes to write the PDF you may have the ability to
„donwsample“ all images to a given resolution relative to the size in the layout…

- One solution might be to adjust the images to a proper size and compression accordingly
to the layout
- Alternatively you may „optimize“ the PDF for internet use: resample, compress and remove
duplicates (images used multiple times)

Just a few ideas which may help if there is no native solution in Apache FOP ;-)
If there is no working solution in FOP, I may send you a link to a freeware to optimize the
final PDF

The FOP guys may forgive me if I am completely wrong ;-)

Best,
Frank

> Am 16.05.2017 um 17:50 schrieb spoorthi myneni - TECRA <spoorthi.myneni@tecra.com>:
>
> Hi Team,
>
> We have a requirement to reduce the size of the PDF size from 200Kb(approximately) to
as less as possible. There are 5 images in the PDF that I am using.

> PDF size without images is coming up to 40Kb.
> Each Image size(jpegs): CCX logo- 60Kb, 3 small images: 18kb each, SMS logo - 50Kb approximately.
>
> The PDF size is increased as mush as the image size is. Is there a way for us to optimize
the image size or the PDF size in FO?