From "Simon Steiner" <simonsteiner1...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: fop-pdf-images and caching
Date Thu, 16 Nov 2017 13:57:07 GMT
Hi,

For the change see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOP-2693

If you cache PDDocument then close is never called on them and you get OOM eventually.

There was a finalize that called close but that wasn’t working on IBM JDK.

I think there were other issues.

Thanks

From: Matt Kynaston [mailto:matt@claritum.com]
Sent: 16 November 2017 13:32
To: fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
Subject: Re: fop-pdf-images and caching

First, I get a hit on the external PDF for each and every page. I've had a look at the PreloadPDF
and it looks like it's meant to be caching, but apparently not. Is there some configuration
I'm missing for this?

Ah hah. Turns out I was looking at the trunk version of fop-pdf-images when I saw the caching
stuff. That was removed before version 2.2 was tagged.

Going back to ticket FOP-2135 it looks like this "document level" cache was added to reduce
the document size, not avoid repeated hits on remote resources. Caching the remote resource
is handled by org.apache.xmlgraphics.image.loader.cache.ImageCache, which in turn checks isCachable()
on the image. ImagePDF returns false for that :(

Does anyone have any insights into this? Is there any way to make a PDF image cacheable?

Second, if I rename the external PDF I get an error as expected. However renaming it back
doesn't seem to be picked up immediately: it takes one or more runs before it's found again.

Again, this is down to ImageCache, which is keeping track of invalid URLs for 60s.

Matt