From Ron Van den Branden <ron.vandenbran...@kantl.be>
Subject does FOP support characters defined in a cmap_format_12 font table?
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2017 15:49:26 GMT
Hi,

I'm trying to find a font that supports 𐌃, or Unicode Character 'OLD
ITALIC LETTER DE' (U+10303). This should be available in the "Noto Sans
Old Italic" font (https://www.google.com/get/noto/#sans-ital).

Yet, even though I successfully register the font in a fop configuration
file, FOP-2.2 reports following warnings:

   INFO: Default page-width set to: 8.26in
   nov 28, 2017 4:37:49 PM org.apache.fop.fo.properties.CommonHyphenation getHyphChar
   WARNING: Substituted specified hyphenation character (0x2d) with 0x20 because the font
doesn't have the specified hyphenation character: NotoSansOldItalic,normal,400
   nov 28, 2017 4:37:50 PM org.apache.fop.events.LoggingEventListener processEvent
   WARNING: Glyph "?" (0xd800) not available in font "NotoSansOldItalic".
   nov 28, 2017 4:37:50 PM org.apache.fop.events.LoggingEventListener processEvent
   WARNING: Glyph "?" (0xdf03) not available in font "NotoSansOldItalic".
   nov 28, 2017 4:37:50 PM org.apache.fop.events.LoggingEventListener processEvent
   INFO: Rendered page #1.

When inspecting the PDF file, instead of the character (ideally), or the
substitution character # (fallback), I see "ï¿¿ï¿¿". Minimal XSL-FO test
file and output PDF file attached.

When inspecting the Noto Sans Old Italic CMAP tables via the fonttools
Python library (https://github.com/fonttools/fonttools), I noticed that
the character is mapped in the "cmap_format_12" table. I'll attach the
TTX XML representation of this font, generated via fonttools.

Now, given that I have successfully registered a font (Noto Sans Old
Italic) which allegedly supports this character (OLD ITALIC LETTER DE),
what else should I do in order to make FOP output the actual character?

Kind regards,

Ron