From Neil Smeby <neil.sm...@infinitecampus.com>
Subject RE: https external-graphics
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2019 19:38:10 GMT

Aha! I found the problem. Turns out I was using -Djava.ext.dirs=<path to fop> to execute
FOP so that the dynamic class loading worked. But there's a built in way by using -Dfop.home=
instead. The java.ext.dirs causes the java SSL connection to fail with a "RSA premaster secret
error" that seems to get swallowed by the FOP exception handling here (google that error for
details). In general maybe FOP could better log errors.
Probably a try/catch+log around the openStream call in the NormalResourceResolver class in
the getResource method, but maybe also elsewhere to catch actual I/O errors.

-Neil

-----Original Message-----
From: Neil Smeby
Sent: Tuesday, January 8, 2019 12:34 PM
To: 'fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org' <fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org>
Subject: RE: https external-graphics

(sorry to break the thread chain, I just recently joined the list and missed the original

So the example image I was trying to use in FOP was a random google image search result (for
foo) that was on a BBC media server that had https with a valid signed (not self-signed) certificate.
And when I try to fetch the image using the simple java program below, it works fine. So it
doesn't seem to be a JDK or certificate problem. Can someone else test the .fo file in my
original email? Feel free to replace the image url with an https reference you trust.

import java.net.*;
import java.io.*;

public class foo {
        URL url = new URL("https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/960x540/p01br4cp.jpg");
        URLConnection connection = url.openConnection();
        InputStream is = connection.getInputStream();

        BufferedReader in = new BufferedReader(new InputStreamReader(is));

        StringBuilder response = new StringBuilder();
        String inputLine;

        while ((inputLine = in.readLine()) != null)
            response.append(inputLine);

        in.close();

        System.out.println(response.toString());
    }
}