From Jeremias Maerki <dev.jerem...@greenmail.ch>
Subject Re: Opinion poll
Date Mon, 07 Mar 2005 14:08:01 GMT

On 07.03.2005 14:52:02 Chris Bowditch wrote:
> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>
> > I'd like to push the XML Graphics Commons idea again and therefore would
> > like to know what people think.
> >
> > 1. I think there's noone around opposing the idea of creating the common
> > area and making the transcoders in FOP available to the Batik team, is
> > there?
>
> Fine with me.
>

> > 2. Do you prefer the transfer of the transcoders to the Batik subproject
> > as Thomas suggested or do you think that the transcoders should be in a
> > separate area that is easily accessible by both teams? Or is that
> > particular question not so important for you?
>
> I think Transcoders should be accessible to both sets of committers. So
> therefore in their own separate area. I seem to remember from previous
> discussions that this was difficult to achieve for technical reasons.

Not really technical, rather organizational. It could be difficult for
people to find what they need. The Batik build would be more scattered.

> > 3. Would you be opposed to converting Batik and FOP to Subversion in
> > preparation for the creation of the common area? This would preserve all
> > history of the individual classes. Time frame: within 1 month from now.
> > It seems to me that the infrastructure have succeeded in making
> > Subversion stable now.
>
> I havent yet checked to see if there is an easy to use Windows client available.

Windows is easiest. TortoiseSVN is one of the best clients available in
general. Integrates directory into the Explorer. The command line is
also no problem. The only problem for myself is probably the SVN support
in Eclipse that is not yet as advanced as CVS support.

Jeremias Maerki