From Simon Pepping <spepp...@leverkruid.nl>
Subject Re: Opinion poll
Date Mon, 07 Mar 2005 21:36:31 GMT
On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 03:08:01PM +0100, Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> On 07.03.2005 14:52:02 Chris Bowditch wrote:
> > Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> >
> > > I'd like to push the XML Graphics Commons idea again and therefore would
> > > like to know what people think.
> > >
> > > 1. I think there's noone around opposing the idea of creating the common
> > > area and making the transcoders in FOP available to the Batik team, is
> > > there?
> >
> > Fine with me.

Fine with me as well.

> > > 2. Do you prefer the transfer of the transcoders to the Batik subproject
> > > as Thomas suggested or do you think that the transcoders should be in a
> > > separate area that is easily accessible by both teams? Or is that
> > > particular question not so important for you?
> >
> > I think Transcoders should be accessible to both sets of committers. So
> > therefore in their own separate area. I seem to remember from previous
> > discussions that this was difficult to achieve for technical reasons.
>
> Not really technical, rather organizational. It could be difficult for
> people to find what they need. The Batik build would be more scattered.

In general, breaking a code base up in several pieces is better for
the developers, but may cause problems for users. The users' end
should be served by good documentation and by good organization of
release packages.

I have not followed the discussion very well, and I do not have a
clear standpoint. That is a +0 from me.

> > > 3. Would you be opposed to converting Batik and FOP to Subversion in
> > > preparation for the creation of the common area? This would preserve all
> > > history of the individual classes. Time frame: within 1 month from now.
> > > It seems to me that the infrastructure have succeeded in making
> > > Subversion stable now.

Fine with me.

Regards, Simon

--