From Jeremias Maerki <dev.jerem...@greenmail.ch>
Subject Re: Opinion poll
Date Tue, 08 Mar 2005 15:37:15 GMT

On 08.03.2005 16:21:47 Web Maestro Clay wrote:
> On Mar 7, 2005, at 5:52 AM, Chris Bowditch wrote:
> > Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> >> I'd like to push the XML Graphics Commons idea again and therefore
> >> would
> >> like to know what people think.
> >> 1. I think there's noone around opposing the idea of creating the
> >> common
> >> area and making the transcoders in FOP available to the Batik team, is
> >> there?
> >
> > Fine with me.
>
> Fine with me, assuming we have a clear plan on how to resolve the
> technical issues.
>
> While we're at it, are there any other items which can go into
> xmlgraphics-commons.jar?

Well, I've started a list of items on the Wiki page. And we can always
add components later once the infrastructure is there.

> >> 2. Do you prefer the transfer of the transcoders to the Batik
> >> subproject
> >> as Thomas suggested or do you think that the transcoders should be in
> >> separate area that is easily accessible by both teams? Or is that
> >> particular question not so important for you?
> >
> > I think Transcoders should be accessible to both sets of committers.
> > So therefore in their own separate area. I seem to remember from
> > previous discussions that this was difficult to achieve for technical
> > reasons.
>
> My concern is that if we move files, then someone will have to download
> the Batik & FOP binaries and/or source. If that's the case, then why
> not just merge FOP and BATIK (FATIK? BOP? ;-)). It doesn't matter much
> to me, as long as it's clear, simple and serves an established, agreed
> upon purpose.

Merging FOP and Batik wouldn't be a good idea. We implement two
different specifications. With the move of the transcoders out of FOP,
FOP will have a dependency on XGC and Batik, and Batik only on XGC. That
establishes a clean dependency tree. FOP will continue to ship a
batik.jar which will also contain the transcoders in the future (except
if they are still packed into a separate JAR which would still be
possible).

<snip/>

Jeremias Maerki