From Jeremias Maerki <dev.jerem...@greenmail.ch>
Subject Re: Code reorganization
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2005 19:24:19 GMT

On 18.03.2005 20:03:07 Thomas DeWeese wrote:
> Hi Jeremias,
>
> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>
> > A proposal 2a (a kind of compromise) would involve putting the basic
> > Graphics2D implementations in the Commons area (no dependencies on Batik).
> > The transcoders themselves would go into Batik.
>
>    This is what I envisioned all along.

Ah, ok.

> > Of course, this also splits this part in two, possibly making it
> > harder for the Batik team when doing bigger improvements.
>
>    Since I'll have access to both the difference should be
> minor.  The Graphics2D impls should logically be separate.
> You seemed to hint that there were Batik dependencies in these
> classes do you know what they are?

Mainly applyPaint() which uses Batik-specific subclasses of the AWT
Paint class. That means the basic Graphics2D implementation would have
to be either subclassed or, better, extended so you can plug in support
for these paints because both the Commons part and the Batik part would
otherwise have a special subclass for the DocumentGraphics2D
functionality. But I think that's an easy thing to do. About an hour of
work.

> > But I think it would address my (and Simon's) particular interest in
> > the Graphics2D implementations. So my question would be what Chris
> > and Thomas (and everyone else, of course) think about this variant.
>

> Just to give you an idea the only code I'm looking to transfer
> to Batik (roughly for PDF) is:
>
> PDFImageElementBridge.java, PDFTextElementBridge.java
> PDFTextPainter.java, PDFTranscoder.java, SVGUserAgent.java
> FOPSAXSVGDocumentFactory.java, PDFAElementBridge.java, PDFANode.jav

You left off the AbstractFOPTranscoder and the PostScript classes
(org.apache.fop.render.ps). You want the EPS output support, too, right?
:-)

Jeremias Maerki