From Thomas DeWeese <Thomas.DeWe...@Kodak.com>
Subject Re: Batik Release Process?
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2005 21:20:04 GMT

Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> Actually, I read that page exactly the other way round. It says that
> releases all have some measure of official approval and lists release
> candidates under unstable releases.

    I missed the reference to "release candidates".  I agree they need
to be considered a release :(.

    The problem is that this just pushes you to skip the 'rc'.
I was hoping to quickly get an RC out for people to test with
while the processes rolls along for the real release.

    Now that I can't do that I'll probably just resign myself
to the formal release (I really don't think anything is unstable
I just wanted to give that extra % or two a chance to check it
out ahead of time, plus giving me a chance to practice a full
build again).

    Anyway, what's the check-list?

      1) a) Vote on batik-dev for a release.
         b) Vote(?) on fop-dev for tagging PDF code
      2) Vote on xmlgraphics-pmc for release.
      3) Make release?

>>> Part of the purpose of this
>>> note was to find out what needed to be done so I could summarize
>>> a path forward to a release to the wider Batik mail list (although
>>> I have often hinted that I am interested in making a release).
>
> I understand. Still, I'd prefer a formal vote for the records which more
> or less fixes the point in time where there release should take place.

    I never anticipated skipping the formal vote, I just wanted to
have my ducks in a row before starting the formal vote.  For example
I would have mentioned putting out a release candidate which it
looks like won't happen now.