From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Porting the Batik codecs to XML Graphics Commons
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2006 08:59:21 GMT
(batik-dev in CC so I'm sure everyone sees this)

I've started to look into porting the PNG and TIFF codecs from Batik to
XML Graphics Commons. It turns out that there are extensive direct and
indirect dependencies into org.apache.batik.ext.awt (or rather many of
its subpackages). Within this package the dependencies are very clean,
the only external dependecy being a few of classes the batik.util and
batik.i18n package. So....

What about porting the whole batik.ext.awt to XMLGraphics Commons
(excluding the WriteAdapters for the Transcoders) plus batik.i18n and
what is needed from batik.util?

On the other side, the codecs themselves only need a part of all that
code. If batik.ext.awt.image.GraphicsUtil were taken apart, only the
necessary parts could be surgically extracted. That will take some
additional work but would only factor out what is really needed by both
projects (Batik and FOP).

I'm prepared to do the necessary work to extract the right parts to
Commons and adjust everything as necessary. I just need some second
opinions or additional ideas to find the right approach.

Thanks!
Jeremias Maerki