From thomas.dewe...@kodak.com
Subject Re: Porting the Batik codecs to XML Graphics Commons
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2006 11:27:47 GMT
Hi Jeremias,

Jeremias Maerki <dev@jeremias-maerki.ch> wrote on 02/22/2006 03:59:21 AM:

> I've started to look into porting the PNG and TIFF codecs from Batik to
> XML Graphics Commons. It turns out that there are extensive direct and
> indirect dependencies into org.apache.batik.ext.awt (or rather many of
> its subpackages). Within this package the dependencies are very clean,
> the only external dependecy being a few of classes the batik.util and
> batik.i18n package. So....
>
> What about porting the whole batik.ext.awt to XMLGraphics Commons
> (excluding the WriteAdapters for the Transcoders) plus batik.i18n and
> what is needed from batik.util?

   This can be done, but I don't think the dependencies are really
that deep.  The real 'major' dependencies are for the 'Rable' versions
which probably don't need to be exported.

   The main Red dependency is on the AbstractRed baseclass.  This was
done as the most convenient thing at the time.  This class (and base
classes) could be moved with the codecs, or a new replacement could be
made.

> On the other side, the codecs themselves only need a part of all that
> code. If batik.ext.awt.image.GraphicsUtil were taken apart, only the
> necessary parts could be surgically extracted. That will take some
> additional work but would only factor out what is really needed by both
> projects (Batik and FOP).

   I'm a little concerned that there is lots of really 'core' code
for Batik in the ext.awt packages (all of the filter implementations,
support for the tile cached used by static renderer, etc).  Unlike
things like the Graphics2D and codec's I am doubtful that these are
components that others will work on or use outside of Batik so
moving them outside of Batik will just make developing Batik another
step harder (when changes have to occur in this area you need to
first build commons then copy new jar into Batik and build Batik, blah!).

   Lately this area has been fairly stable so it's not as bad
as it could be.