From Vincent Hennebert <vhenneb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Sharing Common Content Between Websites [was: Re: svn commit: r773846 - /xmlgraphics/commons/trunk/src/documentation/skinconf.xml]
Date Wed, 20 May 2009 11:31:06 GMT
Hi Clay,

The Web Maestro wrote:
> Some level of sharing is possible, but IMHO the ApacheCon badge
> 'problem' is screaming for some sort of Apache-wide RSS solution that
> automatically takes down 'expired' info and replaces it with upcoming
> ones.

That’s actually quite true. Still I think there are other configuration
items that are duplicated at the moment, and that it would be good if we
could share them. 90% of the skinconf.xml files are identical between
FOP and XML Graphics...

> As for what is possible, there're a couple of ways to go about it:
>
> 1. make all xmlgraphics.a.o sites part of one site
>
> PROs: all sites would share the same 'skin' & could easily share page
> elements (e.g., ApacheCon logo)
>
> CONs:
> - Batik would lose its purple skin (& look like xmlg.a.o, commons & fop)
> - tabs would be shared
>
> 2. Add 'common' TAB or TABS for common stuff (tab(s) would like to
> section of xmlg.a.o/)
>
> PROs:
> - Little change from how site currently operates
> - Adds a TAB to see shared content, which linkes to X G Project-level
> stuff like PMCs, ASF Sponsor Program, ASF Thanks, etc.
>
> CONs:
> - Can't really 'share' page elements

I’m not sure having a single website for all projects would be a good
idea. Each site is already pretty big. I like your second solution
however, maybe it’s possible to put in the common tab what currently
corresponds to the XML Graphics website.

Regarding the skins, I think it would be good if every site were sharing
a common one. That would stress the fact that they are all part of the
same project. Yet each site could have a colour scheme of its own.
What the shared skin would define is the shape of the menu and other
elements, the placement of stuff like logos, ‘breadcrumb trail’, content
of the footer, etc.

I was thinking of playing with Subversion External Definitions [1] to
store the common stuff, and possibly xinclude it in the applicable
files. Remains to see if that’s doable with Forrest.

[1] http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch07s04.html

> Since Forrest can interact with RSS, it should be possible to create
> an element that grabs the image. Someone would still have to maintain
> the RSS, which would probably be best if it were a task managed by the
> ApacheCon folks...
>
> Clay
>
> On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 4:04 AM, Vincent Hennebert wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I had to do that change 3 times: one for the XML Graphics website, one
>> for Commons, one for FOP. There is a lot of content that could be shared
>> between the three websites (plus, eventually, Batik).
>> Does anyone have any suggestion about that? Would that be at all
>> possible with Forrest?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Vincent

Vincent