From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: Status report for August 2009
Date Fri, 07 Aug 2009 21:00:48 GMT
On 07.08.2009 22:09:01 Simon Pepping wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 09:59:42PM +0200, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> >
> > Other interesting statistics:
> ... snip ...
> Thanks for the links.
>
> > Generally, the (updated) report sounds fine.
> >
> > One thing that concerns me a bit is the growing patch queue in Batik and
> > FOP.
> >
> ... snip ...
> >
> > Good patches that don't get processed will drive potential committers
> > away at some point. And patches can go out of date. But I still have no
> > recipe to get our project more active. I've been trying to recruit FOP
> > users to participate in the development ever since I went independent,
> > with only little success. Some people are often happier to pay for a
> > little extension or fix (which made a good part of my income in the last
> > few years) than to dive in themselves and take more control. And most
> > simply expect others to work for them for free. And then there's the
> > problem that spare fun time to do things not work/client-related is
> > usually very limited. Sigh.
>
> I agree. Do you want this concern included in the report? I prefer to
> give a realistic view of the project's position. Therefore at some
> point such concerns need to be expressed. Is that already in this
> report?

I guess it is. Probably just me venting frustration. The board knows
since the forming of the XML Graphics project that Batik has not many
active people. It has 3 active committers. That's been the same since
2005 although the activity has quieted down in the last 3-4 months. I
just fear a serious problem for Batik if one of the three went away. FOP
has 7 active committers in 2009 so is in a more comfortable position.
Maybe you can add those numbers just to have stated that once in a while.
After all, the board members change, too. OTOH, if the board sees that
some activity is happening and oversight is there, they have no problem
with us.

Still, the general problem is the same for the whole project: so many
users, so few contributors. We just have to make sure we don't forget to
turn recurring contributors into committers.

Jeremias Maerki